15 June 2011

Right Now

I'm leaving a secure career as a school librarian to go back to school for another bachelor's degree.  My first was in English.  This one is Religion and Philosophy.  In addition, I'll be dedicating time to regular yoga practice.  I can tell you that this is what I'll be doing for at least the next year and approximately six months more.  Beyond that, I cannot see. 

My goals for these upcoming months is a serious personal investment in studying why / how / what humans do and think about what is underlying our existence; in exploring my own personal existence and beliefs as I enrich myself with more knowledge and experiences, hopefully drawing me closer to understanding our shared humanity more; and to create a constructive, nurturing, and sustainable lifestyle for myself based upon what I learn and explore. 

Now, some may scoff and call these ridiculously noble and high goals, even say they're the luxury of a middle class white girl...but these folks wouldn't say that:

  • the Dalai Lama (who preaches compassion and seeks inter-faith and religious harmony, despite death threats and murders of his fans and followers)
  • members of the Freedom From Religion Foundation (who just wish people wouldn't try to kill them or shut them up in America because they are atheists, agnostics, humanists, deists, or simply don't want evangelicals interrupting their day by trespassing with pamphlets)
  • American Christians who are slowly realizing that separation of church and state also protects them from being ruled by Muslim Sharia Law (despite no solid proof that such a threat is close to being realized, the fear certainly helps lots of people suddenly understand the whole logic behind the separation and why America's founding fathers thunk it up in the first place)
  • the 23% of Americans who are not Christian and still think the Constitution applies to them, too
...well, these people don't think such goals of understanding philosophy and religion better are ridiculous or luxuries.

Personally, I feel that the only life worth living is the examined one.  I think Socrates muttered something about that once upon a time.

1 comment:

  1. I like this a lot - I just wish you had a way for me to post under the "Expanding Minds" tab. Came across a very interesting book written by a 10-year-old child bride from the Middle East. Very riveting and insightful.

    Love you bunches,
    Your Atheist ;0))

    ReplyDelete